Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Temperature 45 degrees on switch stack

My 3750g switch stack is reporting 45 degrees.

It is a stack of 8 switches. Is this normal temperature? It says that 65 is critical and thats not that far away.

What can be causing this to be so high, cpu proc is 8% constant.

4 REPLIES

Re: Temperature 45 degrees on switch stack

Probably not. Though the spec says that the 3750's operating temp is between 0 to 45?C (unless you're reading is in ?F). But I personally wouldn't want it pegged at the borderline.

What's the ambient temperature? Are the switches installed on an open-bay rack or enclosed? How is air released outside of the rack/cabinet?

If the air is not released, it will circulate inside the cabinet (due to the switches' fan blowers). This will end up virtually like a thermal runaway wherein hot air from one equipment gets sucked into by the next one and so on, making the air very warm in just a few minutes.

Purple

It is usually not a switch problem , you need to take a look at how hot the wiring closet is where the switch is located . Some people like to stack them right on top of one another I would keep at least a half inch between each switch .

They are stacked all together in an open rack.

Agree with previous poster, you should have some space in-between switches if possible. We have cable organizers in-between each switch. A nice A/C in the room helps too.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content