Helpful
Replies

TFTP error

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just bought a cisco 2600 router which is giving a message

"%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/router1-confg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/router1.cfg (Timed out)"

How do i get rid of this message and what does it indicate.

Q2 Also i am not able to save my running config by running a WR MEM command

every time i reboot the router it is lost what could be the possible problem.

please advice

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Try the command from the config mode: no service config.

For the saving config check the config register value.

You can see it in a show version

It's the last line of that output:

example: Configuration register is 0x2102

To set the config register, in config mode: config-register VALUE

Check the guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/installation/guide/2600appC.html#wp1012638

View solution in original post

gursaran

The service config instructs the router to attempt to read a config file from the TFTP server. The attempt to read various permutations of the config name is what is generating the errors in your original post. Unless you intend to have the TFTP server set up to provide the config to the router at boot time (and very few people do that) then the advice to configure no service config is good advice and it will stop the errors that you reported.

Based on your symptoms it is likely that your config register is set to 0x2142 (which is likely the result of someone doing password recovery). The significant digit is the 4 which instructs the router to ignore the stored config in NVRAM at boot time. If you change the config register to 0x2102 then it will instruct the router to read the stored config (startup-config) at boot time.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Try the command from the config mode: no service config.

For the saving config check the config register value.

You can see it in a show version

It's the last line of that output:

example: Configuration register is 0x2102

To set the config register, in config mode: config-register VALUE

Check the guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/installation/guide/2600appC.html#wp1012638

Hi,

What does this No service config command do?

what is the default register value for a cisco device in the show version command

gursaran

The service config instructs the router to attempt to read a config file from the TFTP server. The attempt to read various permutations of the config name is what is generating the errors in your original post. Unless you intend to have the TFTP server set up to provide the config to the router at boot time (and very few people do that) then the advice to configure no service config is good advice and it will stop the errors that you reported.

Based on your symptoms it is likely that your config register is set to 0x2142 (which is likely the result of someone doing password recovery). The significant digit is the 4 which instructs the router to ignore the stored config in NVRAM at boot time. If you change the config register to 0x2102 then it will instruct the router to read the stored config (startup-config) at boot time.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card