cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The differences between the Cisco E and X series switches?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

I am doing some research as we are moving to a switching standard accross the board with Cisco.  We are looking at the new E and X series switches,

does anyone here on the forums have any experience with these models?  My biggest question is what are the differences between the two types.

I see that they can provide POE accross all ports and there are some new options for stacking the switches.  Are there any gotchas with either type?

Any feedback here would be great.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

9 Replies 9

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Basically the 3750x/3560x is the newer models of the 3750e/3560e

before the "E" there was the "G" and so on. so basically the X is the newer version of E

The biggest difference in x and e switches are the powerstacking capabilities in the 3750 ip base and the possibility for 802.1ae, macsec.

Also there are some modules that X supports that is not supported in E.

fx the C3KX-SM-10G module that gives you the possibility to do fx netflow or connect 2 3750x towards eachother.

There is also a difference in that the X has limited lifetime warranty (except power and fans) the E is as far as i know not.

And ofcourse the part with LAN-Base ie L2 it does not exist on the E models either.

but if you choose the Lan base models then you will loose fx the powerstack possibility

If you are looking to buy new switches then i would recomend the X models.

Good luck

HTH

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

Another piece I just wanted to mention is that the 3750X/3560X not only support larger power supplies for PoE, but also redundant power supplies.  This is a pretty nice feature - especially if you've ever tried using an RPS for redundant power in the past.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The X is an improved E.

As noted by the other posters, the two major feature enhancements to the X are power stacking and a module slot. 

I work with both, and if I remember correctly, actual IOS images are same for both.  I too would recommend the X.

Thank you all for this feedback.  Helps to sort through the minutiae to where the tangible benefits are.

Thanks again.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  3750E is almost End-of-Sale;

2.  3750X, like the 3750E, supports dual power supply BUT the 3750X support stacked power, dual removable fan module;

3.  3750E supports up to 20.0W of PoE while the 3750X supports up to 30.0W PoE per port (if you get the "PF").

4.  Currently, 3750X does NOT support 10Gb ER SFP+ module.  Only the 3750E does.

5.  The 3750X can support 10Gb copper uplink but the 3750E cannot.

Similarities:

1.  3750E and 3750X run the same IOS codes;

2.  Both have a 32Gbps full duplex backplane;

3.  Both have management ports;

4.  Both have USB ports. 

5.  Both support 10Gb fibre link.

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

2.  Both have a 32Gbps full duplex backplane;

Table 9. Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Performance Specifications

Performance Numbers for All Switch Models

Switching Fabric

160 Gbps

Table 2 lists product specifications for the Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series.

Table 2. Descriptions and Specifications

Description

Specification

Performance

• 160-Gbps switching fabric capacity

Table 2 lists product specifications for the Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series.

Table 2. Descriptions and Specifications

Description

Specification

Performance

• 32-Gbps switching fabric

Maybe I should've stated stack backplane. 

Hello Leo

What is the differance between 10Gb ER SFP+ module and 10Gb fibre link

What is the differance between 10Gb ER SFP+ module and 10Gb fibre link

"10 Gbps fibre link" is a generic term for fibre optic link running 10 Gbps and of various distances, from 100 metres to 100 kilometres (and more).

10 Gbps ER SFP+ is one of those type.  "ER" means "Extended Reach" and supports up to a distance of 40 kms.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card