cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

the problem with my catalyst 2950 serie

mtchicmen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! When l try to recocry the equipment this message appear: ''The system is unable to boot automatically.  The BOOT environment variable needs to be set to a bootable image.'' what can l do?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/41845-192.html

HTH

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Try

conf t
boot system flash:[IMAGE_NAME]
wr
reload

Replace [IMAGE_NAME] with the actual name of the IOS image within the flash

How to know if my equipment have the ios image.

please find attached the picture appear.

thank.

No IOS.  

Refer to Inayath's link (below) about how to load the IOS back into your switch.

Hello mtchicmen

As in your output there are two files available in the flash memory i.e. "config.text" and "private-config.text" and there is no such file having an extension of .bin that is the file of IOS. So you have to install the IOS in your switch. You can follow the below process to install IOS in the switch. For installing IOS you can use Hyper Terminal or Tera Term.

First of all increase the console speed by using the command:

switch: set BAUD 115200

Then open the hyper terminal session by setting speed of 115200 instead of 9600.

Then you will get the switch: prompt.

switch: flash_init

switch: load_helper

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin

Then click on transfer---- click on send file--- give the file path and select xmodem --- click on send. It will start copying the files from pc to switch. Then after copying it will automatically install IOS into the switch. When installing will complete you have to type "boot" command and you will get the access of switch.

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

hello,

How can l do to have the ios for my equipment? (catalyst 2950)

thank.

Hello mtchicmen

You have to contact with Cisco to purchase the IOS.

First of all you have to check which features do you require. Then you can check in Cisco Feature Navigator in which IOS image these features are available. Then you can purchase that IOS from Cisco.

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

Hi,

Please i need to know what is "xmodem" ?

That is the only information i don't have now.

Hello mtchicmen

"Xmodem" is a simple file transfer protocol that is used to transfer files. It is used to transfer the IOS files from pc to the router/switch. When we don't have TFTP server then we can use xmodem but pc must be directly connected to the router's console.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/15085-xmodem-generic.html

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card