Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The same VLAN no. and Access List no.

Hi,

I want to know the VLAN no and Acceess list no which is there in another switch in the same LAN, Can I use the same VLAN no and Access list no in another switch in the same LAN?

I am sure there shouldn't be but want to double sure.      

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

While it can be done i would think twice about doing it , it just leads to confusion in a troubleshooting situation.  Also I would use named acl's whereever possible that way you have a general idea what it is used for if you name it by function.

3 REPLIES
Gold

Hi Sugata,

You can have same vlan numbers and ACL numbers on different switchs with in the same LAN.

Access List number is local to each switch, so you could same ACL number on the different switchs on the same VLAN.

VLAN number should be uniquie with in the LAN domain. Normally if you need reachability with in LAN on multiple switches we create same VLAN number on multiple switches and assign hosts to it.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Purple

While it can be done i would think twice about doing it , it just leads to confusion in a troubleshooting situation.  Also I would use named acl's whereever possible that way you have a general idea what it is used for if you name it by function.

Very Good suggestion Glen. I would like to follow this also.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content