Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

three questions about OSI/RM.

1. we all know MAC is short for media access control, which is used in Layer 2 , and only in IEEE802 standard system. in another type of network Frame Relay, we used Data Link Control Interface instead. so i guess that we use different tool to identify end-user. am i right?

2. Generally, WAN interface (serial interfaces) don't have a MAC address, and I want to know if the reason is I just mentioned before. and if that means all WAN interfaces don't need  MAC addresses.

3.what kind of application should used Frame Relay network?

Thank you for your answers!

1 REPLY

Hey,Regarding your questions

Hey,

Regarding your questions:

1. we all know MAC is short for media access control, which is used in Layer 2 , and only in IEEE802 standard system. in another type of network Frame Relay, we used Data Link Control Interface instead. so i guess that we use different tool to identify end-user. am i right? - End users or machines will always have a mac address.

2. Generally, WAN interface (serial interfaces) don't have a MAC address, and I want to know if the reason is I just mentioned before. and if that means all WAN interfaces don't need  MAC addresses - I suggest the following link, its a good read:https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10236311/mac-address-serial-interface

3.what kind of application should used Frame Relay network? - Its used mostly used by ISP's only.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Views
Helpful
Replies