cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Timestamp Logging

parklabel
Level 1
Level 1

The 6509 is not showing timestamps on its logs. It shows the uptime instead.

"service timestamps log datetime localtime" is set. The same goes for debug.

The clock is set on UTC from an NTP server (per policy). Should this make a difference? If not, then what am I missing?

I saw "set logging timestamps" command for 6500 series, but that doesn't work on this IOS version (12.2 (18)), I suppose.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dan-jones
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried without the 'localtime' option in the service timestamps log? My guess would be the 'clock timezone' might be required for the localtime option to work and its absense is causing issues.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dan-jones
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried without the 'localtime' option in the service timestamps log? My guess would be the 'clock timezone' might be required for the localtime option to work and its absense is causing issues.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you sure it's logging new entries ?

You can try the following:

no logging buffer

logging buffer

then try to create a logging entry by going into config and type a description under a interface and exit out.

Check the logging buffer then.

Greg

Perhaps we need some clarification: is this 6509 running hybrid mode or native mode? The symptoms sound like it may be running hybrid mode and has service timestamps log set on the MSFC but does not have it set in the SUP.

If that is not the case then perhaps you can post the parts of the config that specify timestamps and examples of the log messages showing uptime (including the first several lines of output from the show log command which show how logging has been configured). Also details of the switch operating environment please.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card