Views
Helpful
Replies

To load new ios in router

sushil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to install new ios on my flash of 1841 router.It has only 32 MB of flash so I need to format the old image as there is not enough space in that.How can I achieve that?

Reg,

Sushil

4 Replies 4

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

U can foramt the flash and dnot restart the router.

Then make sure that u r able to reach the tftp server and from tftp u can restore the new image.

router#copy tftp flash:

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi there, how would you do this ? ie format flash and then load new ios? do you have to format or can you just remove old ios ?

Thanks Mahmood that worked 4 me.

Reg,

Sushil

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have an 1800 router right? Good. That means you have a USB port available.

Do you have a spare USB stick which can accomodate your new IOS? Stick it in, say port USB port 0, and format your USB using the following command: format usbport0:

Once the format has been completed, copy your NEW IOS to the USB by using the follwing command: copy tftp usbport0:

Once the copy has been completed, THEN you format your compact flash with the following command: format flash:

Then you can copy your new IOS from your usb to the flash: copy usbport0: flash:

Why this run-around? Because I hate to see you go to ROMMON if your copy of the new IOS from TFTP to flash goes wrong.

You can also configure the boot variable to boot from your USB.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: