cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

To see Workstation on different Vlans in My Network places

prakashar
Level 1
Level 1

The network setup consists of Cisco 4507 Core switch, a distribution switch and CE500 Switches. There are 15 Vlans created. This restricts users to access workstation connected under that Vlan only. Inter vlan routing is enabled. User can access different workstation by entering the IP Address in Run prompt. But the Users on each Vlan want to see other Workstation in different Vlans in My Network places. How can this be achieved.

2 Replies 2

This is really a question for a MS forum....

Name resolution on Windows Networks requires Name Resolution Servers - typically DNS however in older environments WINS is also used. The actual 'Browse List' (what you want to see) is maintained per IP Network/Subnet by a local 'Browse Master' (with a backup Browse Master). This all requires a Domain to be established and NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) running as well.

Microsoft seem to be moving away from this in favour of AD advertised resources - I think with Server 2008 by default it just stops working...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/117633/

HTH

Andy

Hi Andy,

Your message was very informative. Thanks a lot.

-Prakash

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card