Views
Helpful
Replies

To use or not to use VLAN 1

mark_Bayliss
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I have network that consist of a 2x Cisco 3550 switches and about 30x 2950T switches.

All the switches and core are configured in VLAN 1 along with servers and computers. I am planning on moving the servers to its own VLAN and the same for the computers. Shall I leave the switches in VLAN 1? I am not sure what is the best practise. Can someone please give me some advice.

Thanks,

Mark

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark

Cisco recommends not using vlan 1 for any user/management traffic. Where i work we have a dedicated vlan for managing the switches. No port is left in vlan 1. In addition we always set the native vlan on trunks to be vlan 999 otherwise it will default to vlan 1.

Vlan 1 is still used internally by the switches for vtp, pagp, stp traffic. You can't stop this happening but you can make sure you don't use it yourself.

Attached is a link on a vlan security paper from Cisco which covers the use of vlan 1 among other things

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a008013159f.shtml

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card