Views
Helpful
Replies

Trace problem

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I trying to ping a Server which is attached to Core 4 on access vlan 202 . I have attached a Diagram for the setup

Server has ip add 192.168.202.10 and deafult gateway as 192.168.202.2 (sits as an SVi on core 4)

I can ping the server through CORE 4 but when i ping it form my  workstation it doesn't work

My workstation (HOST) is attached to floor switch  which has trunk connection back to Core 2

My workstation default gateway is 192.168.69.1 (this sits on as an SVI on core2) and my ip is in that subnet

when i do a tracroute form my workstation it reaches Core 4 (192.168.202.2)  and then i get stars and same result from my closet switch

The server can ping  gateway but we cannot ping the server from a different subnet. We have OSPF running in the core and ican see route for 192.168.202.0 on core 4

How can i resolve this problem. what troblshooting steps should i take?

Please advice

i will really appreciate any help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

From Core2, can you ping 192.168.202.2 while sourcing from the Vlan where the host resides?

If so, the routing is working fine between switches and the problem seems to be at the server - check for FWs in the server.

Try pinging another device on that 202.x Vlan from a remote subnet.

View solution in original post

Hi,

so i need to remove a firewall setting on the windows server right?  -- Yes. You need to stop the firewall service..

can you please paste the below commands output from your windows sever.

cmd>netstat -nr

Thanks & Regards

Karuppu

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From Core4, trying pinging the host while sourcing from the Vlan the server resides.

From Core2, trying pinging the server while sourcing from the Vlan the host resides.

If both tasks are successful, check the host and server for proper configuration. Nothing wrong with your routing.

Additionally, you may want to check for any ACLs applied to the SVI.

Edison

From Core2, trying pinging the server while sourcing from the Vlan the host resides.

This step doenot work i get no ping results

how can i troublshoot this routing problem

Thanks

From Core2, can you ping 192.168.202.2 while sourcing from the Vlan where the host resides?

If so, the routing is working fine between switches and the problem seems to be at the server - check for FWs in the server.

Try pinging another device on that 202.x Vlan from a remote subnet.

Hi Edison

when i put the server in vlan 253  which is common in all the core switches as you can see in the Diagram i can ping the server form the host and from core 2 as well How is this possible?

Thanks

Hi,

See,When you are doing traceroute to the server, the packet is reaching till the core 4 i.e) the packet is able to reach the last mile of the destination and the next is your server.

There might be two causes.

1.The server does not have to route to the source or might be you have firewall on in the server

2.Might be there is a routing mismatch in core 4/core 3.

Can you try to ping the server from core 3.

Regards

Karuppu

Hi

Thanks for the reply

i tried pinging from the core 3 to server and had no success

No ping results . From core 3 i can ping 192.168.202.2

i could't understand the following "The server does not have to route to the source or might be you have firewall on in the server"
so i need to remove a firewall setting on the windows server right?

Hi,

so i need to remove a firewall setting on the windows server right?  -- Yes. You need to stop the firewall service..

can you please paste the below commands output from your windows sever.

cmd>netstat -nr

Thanks & Regards

Karuppu

Hi,

Yes ther server was firewalled.

it required two subnets to communicate.

Thanks for all your help guys

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card