cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic monitoring

network770
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to see how much traffic is being sent from a given vlan to a specific server.  Tools like solarwind are not able to provide graphs for something as specific as this.  Has anyone done this?

4 Replies 4

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ronni Ronni wrote:

I am looking to see how much traffic is being sent from a given vlan to a specific server.  Tools like solarwind are not able to provide graphs for something as specific as this.  Has anyone done this?

You could *possibly* do this with Netflow, if your device supports this feature, but with anything else it'd be difficult to track traffic from a given *vlan* to a given port.

You can use Cacti to graph the individual ports, but you can't graph the layer 2 traffic on a VLAN - you can graph an associated SVI if you have one, but that would show you *all* traffic on the VLAN.

Maybe Netflow from the SVI to the server, but I don't know how accurate it would be.

Cheers.

Does the 3750 support netflow?

If so (hopefully), how is it configured?

internodetech
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a 3750X or one of the older 3750 series? The X series suppors Netflow 9.

Is this for troubleshooting or do you need to log this specific type of traffic indefinitely?

If it's for troubleshooting you can get this info from using packet sniffer on the server or SPAN'ing the server's port to a tool like NTOP:

http://www.ntop.org/products/ntop/

In this site we have

cisco WS-C3750-48P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco