cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trouble connecting to router

CaseyRedDragon
Level 1
Level 1

i'm having trouble connecting to my 2514 router. I 'm using a serial to USB adaptor and software absolute telnnet to connect. when i connect i get OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. any help?

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What happens when you console to the router, turn it off and turn it back on?.  Can you capture it and post it here?

i just get all this

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

ok, try changing you baud rate on the console of your PC.  It should be at 9600.

i set it to 9600 8 bit 2 stop bits and it didn't work

the stop bits should be 1

what emulation program are you using?

can you try putty? it is free

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The DEFAULT console port settings for your router are 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity generated or checked, and 2 stop bits.

Cisco originally shipped this unit with special RJ45 rollover cable and RJ45 to DB9 adapter for the console connection. Provided you use this type of cabling you should be OK with the USB to serial converter. I am also confident that the absolute telnet software is OK for the configuration. The console speed of this router could be changed however by setting the bits within so called configuration register. So if your box is not at the factory default will you please try gradually to change the speed (at your absolute telnet terminal emulation software)  to 4800, 2400 and 1200 bps and see if there is any progress.

Best regards,

Antonin

I got it to work. it was set to 1200 but using 1 or 2 stop bits don't seem to work different. I got this router and I'm trying to learn how to use it for I'm planing on being a network technician.

Hi,

Well done. Do not worry about the number of stop bits as this unit works OK for both settings. To set up the config register for the factory default you should put it as 0x2102 (you can see the current settings at the end of the "sh ver" output). Cisco 2514 box is quite good for the initial lab as it contains 2 Ethernet ports in addition to 2 synchronous serial lines (the only point is that you would need AUI transceiver to connect the Ethernet port to a LAN or endpoint). You can also use AUX port e.g. for the async modem connection to create stanby dial-up line (as used in the old days of slow comms lines).

Good luck with your learning process!

Best regards,

Antonin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card