Views
Helpful
Replies

trouble reading simple flash file header

hpmsch
Level 1
Level 1

hi there

I got a really messed up Cisco 3620 Router here. I got it from a collegue who told me I'll have to repair it first before I can use it. I need that one for a testing environment. When I start it up using HyperTerminal to monitor the output I get som error messages: trouble reading simple flash header / cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

At least I can access rommon-mode. But as some of you might know there is no tftpdnld command for this router. So I tried to install a new image using xmodem, but because of the existing image file on the flash drive there is not enough space for the new image (so it says). And then there is now erase command - as far as I can tell - in the command library of the rommon-mode of a 3620 router...

Does anybody know how I can get rid of this problem? Replacing the router can take a while, I only agreed to repair it becaus we are running out of material at the moment..

Thanks a lot for your help!

regards

Oliver

2 Replies 2

Pravin Phadte
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

did u try xmodem -f

rommon 9 >xmodem -?

usage: xmodem [-cyrxefs]

-c CRC-16

-y ymodem-batch protocol

-r copy image to dram for launch

-x do not launch on download completion

-f Perform full erase of flash

-e Perform erase of first flash partition

-sSet speed of Download, where speed may be

1200|2400|4800|9600|19200|38400|115200

Hope this helps

Regards,

Pravin

Unfortunately that's exactly the problem...

The 3620 router has only limited options for xmodem, as far as I rember only the parameters -c, -r, and -x. However the full erase and -e and -s as well are not available.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card