Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with One-Off Deployments & LAN Traffic

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have attached a very high-level drawing representing the Infrastructure I support. I am having trouble understanding "One-Off Deployments."

As my drawing depicts, traffic from clients goes over the internet via DMVPN and terminates on the Cisco ASA 5520 in my data center. The ASA then performs firewalling functions and forwards traffic onwards to the data server.  Here's the kicker: The traffic also must be filtered by a Web Application Firewall (WAF) per company policy, but our WAF is a one-off deployment.

I've always been taught and understood that, "In order for a device to affect traffic (emulate, filter, firewall, etc....), traffic must flow through it.  If that's the case, and if both the data server and the WAF are connected to a common core switch, how is the WAF filtering traffic BEFORE it goes to the data server without being directly in between the switch and the server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dean

No direct experience of them but WAFs can act as reverse proxies so it may be that the clients are configured to send the traffic to that server and it then proxies the connection to the back end server. If the clients are not explicity confgured to do so then somethiing must intercept that traffic and send it to the WAF.

This could be the firewall itself or it could be the switch using WCCP to redirect traffic to the WAF.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dean

No direct experience of them but WAFs can act as reverse proxies so it may be that the clients are configured to send the traffic to that server and it then proxies the connection to the back end server. If the clients are not explicity confgured to do so then somethiing must intercept that traffic and send it to the WAF.

This could be the firewall itself or it could be the switch using WCCP to redirect traffic to the WAF.

Jon

A-HA! Thank you Jon, you actually led me to my answer.  The WAF is NATing/Proxying to web servers in the back end, so not all traffic flows to it, only company websites. So if a user tries to go to a company website, the DNS resolves to the VIP on the WAF for the back-end web server.  So no traffic passes through it unless it is destined for a web server. In that case, it IS the destination.

Love that moment when it clicks, lol.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card