Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with root switches

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have about 5 access switches connected via fiber to a main switch in the MDF. The MDF switch has been manually configured as the root switch and 3 of the 5 switches acknowledge it as root. The final ones do not. Switch 4 is directly connected to the MDF via fiber and is also connected to switch 5 which regards its own self as root. Switch 5 is not directly connected to MDF, but is part of the switching fabric and is inheriting VLAN information. How do I make it so that the remaining switches view the MDF as root?

2 Replies 2

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

I might not be able to answer this question because I don't understand what the MDF is. The most generic answer I can make about switch 4 is that you should check it is correctly receiving BPDUs from the root. Is this IOS?

Regards,

Francois

MDF is the main computer room.

I think the problem is related to the diameter command when I forced my main switch to be root (I didn't use one). But, I have other switches that are twice removed from core that acknowledge the main switch as root, so it's hard to believe that this is the problem.

Does anyone know if it will cause an outage if I re-enter the root switch command with the diameter syntax?

-Shikamaru

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card