Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Troubleshooting a P2P T1

I have a point to point T1 Serial interface on a router that is in interface UP, line protocol DOWN status. The telco has pointed to the problem being on one side of the link, where do I start looking? The router has DCD, DSR, DTR, RTS and CTS all in up status.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bjw Silver
Silver

Re: Troubleshooting a P2P T1

Start by doing a local loopback at the Telco NIU (Smartjack. On the models we have, we can press a local loopback button on the NIU and then monitor the Router Interface for UP/UP(Looped)status. If it doesn't show up/up(looped), replace all patch points, and possibly the Port Adapter Interface or WIC interface/module and try again.

You should be able to repeat this process on both ends of the link.

I also recommend building a short T-1 loopback connector you can attach directly to your serial interfaces, it will help ensure the interface is working properly and can also help determine if cross/connect - patch cabling is good/bad.

You can also ask your Telco to loop to each CSU/DSU (WIC/Router Interfaces) from their NIUs. Both local and remote looping can help identify which end of the circuit is having issues.

I had as issue yesterday where I happened upon 2 bad WIC-T1-V2 modules on a 2811 router. Telco looping help discover the issues.

We also found a bad 7206 Port adapter Serial interface that looked good in IOS, loopback, etc. The only way we confirmed a problem was to put a loopback cable right on the interface and watch it for 20-30 mins, then input errors started to accumulate and we moved the T-1 link to an open interface, moved the config, and it came up clean.

We've also had some very perplexing issues with at least 3 2811 routers in our Remote T-1 links. We start seeing alot of layer 1 errors, we call the telco and arrange an intrusive testing window. When the telco is done testing, they normalize the circuit and let us know what they found. We have had 3 instances where the link stayed up/down and we saw a lot of L1 errors. In each case, after rebooting remote 2811 routers, the links came back up clean?

I've RMA's 2 WIC-T1-V2 modules and have 2 more to send back this week. A ittle perplexing and hopefully not a new 2811 ISR issue.

Good Luck.

1 REPLY
bjw Silver
Silver

Re: Troubleshooting a P2P T1

Start by doing a local loopback at the Telco NIU (Smartjack. On the models we have, we can press a local loopback button on the NIU and then monitor the Router Interface for UP/UP(Looped)status. If it doesn't show up/up(looped), replace all patch points, and possibly the Port Adapter Interface or WIC interface/module and try again.

You should be able to repeat this process on both ends of the link.

I also recommend building a short T-1 loopback connector you can attach directly to your serial interfaces, it will help ensure the interface is working properly and can also help determine if cross/connect - patch cabling is good/bad.

You can also ask your Telco to loop to each CSU/DSU (WIC/Router Interfaces) from their NIUs. Both local and remote looping can help identify which end of the circuit is having issues.

I had as issue yesterday where I happened upon 2 bad WIC-T1-V2 modules on a 2811 router. Telco looping help discover the issues.

We also found a bad 7206 Port adapter Serial interface that looked good in IOS, loopback, etc. The only way we confirmed a problem was to put a loopback cable right on the interface and watch it for 20-30 mins, then input errors started to accumulate and we moved the T-1 link to an open interface, moved the config, and it came up clean.

We've also had some very perplexing issues with at least 3 2811 routers in our Remote T-1 links. We start seeing alot of layer 1 errors, we call the telco and arrange an intrusive testing window. When the telco is done testing, they normalize the circuit and let us know what they found. We have had 3 instances where the link stayed up/down and we saw a lot of L1 errors. In each case, after rebooting remote 2811 routers, the links came back up clean?

I've RMA's 2 WIC-T1-V2 modules and have 2 more to send back this week. A ittle perplexing and hopefully not a new 2811 ISR issue.

Good Luck.

Views
Helpful
Replies