Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Trunk across L3 VPN

Greetings fellow techs... I am in need of some assistance on a specific issue which may cause lot of "why would you do that" chatter...

WHAT I NEED: Each side has a Cat 4500 Chassis with  SUP2 modules in them, each site has non-overlapping VLANs and handle their own inter-vlan routing.  I need to create a L2 link/trunk between sites and have the ability to use any VLAN on any side of the VPN tunnels

WHY I NEED THIS:  For disaster recovery/continuity purposes, we are replicating our entire SAN from SITE-A to SITE-B - if a failure of ONLY one of the VM or hosts were to occur, we could not simply turn on the other side and continue running as-is because the same VLAN would be running on both sides, causing inaccessibility issues. Currently, during a failure event, we'd be forced to fail the entire site to the other site, which is extreme.

HOW DO I DO THIS: Essentially i'd like to take create a L2 accessible VPN/trunk link between Cisco 4500's so that we can use any VPN from either side if necessary. 

I need assistance on this one with some specific examples/articles to read.... I know this can be accomplished, but its nothing something i'm tasked with on a daily basis.

Thanks guys!

Sean

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES
Bronze

Trunk across L3 VPN

Have you considered EVN?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ios_xe/evn/configuration/guide/evn_overview_xe.html

I'm not completely sure if this applies, but it may be what you're looking to accomplish.  I don't have specific examples, unfortunately.

HTH!

-Chris

Trunk across L3 VPN

I'm not particularly sure this is suited for what I need, but it does mention VRF-lite, which is something I did run across.... has anyone deal with Psuedo-wire emulation?  Would this be a fit?

Views
Helpful
Replies