Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk and Access VLAN

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

Hi NetPro,

something new to me, wish netpro can share to me and guide me how to resolve this.

Upstream Switch A- model WS-C3750G-12S-S (version 12.2(35)SE5)

Downstream Switch B - Model WS-C3560-24PS-S ( version 12.2(35)SE5)

vtp domain - jack

vtp mode - transparent.

vtp version - 2

when i configured both switch as trunk and dot1Q. it doesn't work.

so, i tried to change it to access vlan. and it work successful.

i am curious. what wrong with this ?

regards,

jack

22 Replies 22

Then I am confused - what is the issue, if you have change the IP address, and the connection between the 2 switches is a trunk, then trunking is working.

hahaha, yeah that's my concern.

i also don't know what to do now, i am pretty blur . this is my first time encountered this problem.

like i mentioned to you earlier. another site which having the same config (the only different is the switch they are using 3560 ) and it was working.

now then my upstream switch is 3750 but doesnt work.

OK listen - The trunking in your sim is working. Further testing will prove this:-

1) Create more vlans on both switches, and give them IP addresses and ping between them.

2) Configure VTP on the switches - as the name suggests VLAN Trunking Protocol WILL NOT work if there is NO trunk between 2 switches.

3) If you have some switches in a production environment that are not trunking 100% CHECK THE CONFIG.

Trunking is one of the most basic, turn it on and it will work protocols in the Cisco Switch environment, if it's not working, there is a config issue or physical issue 99.99% of the time.

HTH>

Ok, will try again and get back to you.

thanks bro.

have a nice day.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add: Make sure "IP Routing" on the 3750 is disabled (no ip routing).

Hi Leolaohoo.

yes, it was disabled.

any other idea ?

thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you try to post the "sh run" of the two switches?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card