Replies

Trunk between 2 access sw

sam_manay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a design as attached, the corcern is budget. My question:

=Option 1=

-If I use 2 access swith 2960G-24TC-L, can I use copper cable to have trunk link?

Since this series is equipped either to use copper or fiber for last 4 ports.

(No need to use fiber+sfp)

-Does it degrade the traffic quality?

=Option 2=

-If I use 2 access sw 3560G-24PS-S, can I use the copper for trunk link.

I believe the common practice is simply using SFP for copper.

The cost would be 2 SFP for copper. I don't think so to go with SFP and running  LC, this will be more expensive.

Please kindly advise.

Thanks,

sam

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sam_manay wrote:

Hi All,

I have a design as attached, the corcern is budget. My question:

=Option 1=

-If I use 2 access swith 2960G-24TC-L, can I use copper cable to have trunk link?

Since this series is equipped either to use copper or fiber for last 4 ports.

(No need to use fiber+sfp)

-Does it degrade the traffic quality?

=Option 2=

-If I use 2 access sw 3560G-24PS-S, can I use the copper for trunk link.

I believe the common practice is simply using SFP for copper.

The cost would be 2 SFP for copper. I don't think so to go with SFP and running  LC, this will be more expensive.

Please kindly advise.

Thanks,

sam

Hi Sam,

You can use copper to connect your switches together and trunk them as long as the distance is less the 100M.  It is very common to use the Fiber ports for uplinks, because usually they have higher speed and longer distance but if your budget does not allow you to get SFPs  and no distance issue you can use copper for option 1 and 2.

HTH

Reza

john.wright
Level 3
Level 3

Sam

You can use copper for trunk lines with no problem. Using copper simply limits your distance. Your distance is going to be 100 meters with copper. If you need maximum distance you would need to go with SFP and fiber.  I have personally never run a copper trunk that distance but cat 5e can do 100 meters with no degradation.

Option 2 is the same as option 1.

I have a number of 3560's running with copper trunks and they run error free. However as stated above they are not running any great distance as they are in the same wire closet.

FYI for some thought

One of the reasons they build these switches with the SFP is to free up all other ports for user ports and to allow you to connect other switches down stream. if you really don't need 24 ports for users maybe there is a less expensive model than the 24TS-L which provides 4 up links. A WS-C2960S-24TS-S is 2 uplinks and 24 10/100/1000 ports.

Hope this helps

John

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

As an aside, why are you placing the trunk between the access switches and not between the distros? Just curious...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card