cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk Link and Failover Link, and cascade

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

I have been discussing this topic with some people I work with and there seems to be some difference of opinion.

Failover: This terminology as cisco says:

[quote]

The basic failover communication is through the failover cable or through the LAN interface which is configured with the failover lan interface interface_name command in PIX OS version 6.2 and later. Failover communication through the failover cable is message-based and needs to be reliable.

[/quote]

1- Can truck link be considered as failover link ? (i.e. Can we use these two terminology in interchangeably ?)

2- When we connect two switches (uplink) together through Ethernet cable we call them they have been cascaded, can we use same thing with fiber optic cable ?

Regards

2 Replies 2

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I hope these questions are not refrerring PIX here and are general. I am answering it on general thoughts :

1. Yes, If you have two parrallel links going, your trunk link can be considered as a failover link.

2. The cascading technology is very old now. We use to have special GBICS for that when used on the switch stack. You can achieve the same using the fiber uplinks.

-amit singh

Thanks amit

[cut]

1. Yes, If you have two parrallel links going, your trunk link can be considered as a failover link.

[/cut]

You meant to say if there are parallel trunk links, each truck link can be considered as a failover link, but if there is only one trunk link,this is not the case,,,Isn't it ?

[cut]

The cascading technology is very old now.

[/cut]

You meant to say that this terminology can not be used, with two switch connecting to each other through CAT 6 (Gigabit) cable or fiber cable ?

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card