Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Trunk port change

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate if some can help me solve this?

I am trying to reorganize the ports on the cisco 3560g switch.

The trunk port for the UC500 is connected to port 3 on the 3560g

I have reconfigure port 1, identical to port 3, but when I swap the cable to port 1, I cannot connect to the UC500, but if I move the cable back to port 3 I am able to connect.

I did a shut no shut, with no success

Attach is the uc config and the 3560g

The trunk port on the uc500 is port 8

Thanks,

Lake

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: Trunk port change

Hi

if you remove the monitor statement in your config i think it will do better.

monitor session 1 source interface Gi0/22

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi0/1

This sets the interface Gi0/1 into a state where it will not forward anything to the switch but it mirrors the source interface ie Gi0/22 in this case.

This means the interface will send out traffic that comes to and/or from port Gi0/22 and light up just as it should, but no traffic will pass from the connected device in Gi0/1 to and through the switch.

As an extra tip to avoid this types of errors, when i set up a monitor port and i am not using it iset a broken RJ45 connector without any copper pegs in it to show that this port is not to be used.

Good luck

HTH

9 REPLIES
Bronze

Trunk port change

Dumb question.  How long do you wait before saying it's broken?

The trunk still has to renegotiate.

Also, the spanning-tree link type point-to-point command... I've normally seen that when using RPVST.

Since you're basically using a router on a stick deployment, there's no risk of spanning-tree loops.  You can try using the spanning-tree portfast trunk command on the switch port.  It'll speed up the trunk negoatiation.

Ven

Ven Taylor
Purple

Trunk port change

On the 3560 change the speed/duplex on the 3560 to auto/auto  instead of hardcoding and see what happens.

cant open the attachement, can you paste it on?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Trunk port change

Even after waiting 10 to 15 minutes it does not work.

Gold

Hi

if you remove the monitor statement in your config i think it will do better.

monitor session 1 source interface Gi0/22

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi0/1

This sets the interface Gi0/1 into a state where it will not forward anything to the switch but it mirrors the source interface ie Gi0/22 in this case.

This means the interface will send out traffic that comes to and/or from port Gi0/22 and light up just as it should, but no traffic will pass from the connected device in Gi0/1 to and through the switch.

As an extra tip to avoid this types of errors, when i set up a monitor port and i am not using it iset a broken RJ45 connector without any copper pegs in it to show that this port is not to be used.

Good luck

HTH

Hi Hobbe,

I will try that and let you know.

Thanks,

Lake

Hi Hobbe,

That worked like a charm. I appreciate all of your help as well as the other guys.

Thanks,

Lake

Gold

Hi

Great !

Thanx for letting me know, and thanx for the rating.

Bronze

Good catch hobbe.  I didn't see that. 

Ven

Ven Taylor
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.