cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking between CatOS and IOS

jeff.velten
Level 1
Level 1

I recently inherited a 4006, which I'm attempting to trunk with our 3750 stack. I have fast ethernet ports on both ends set up to trunk according to the instructions here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094784.shtml

I'm unable to get the connection to come up. Neither port shows up as a trunk port, but I assume this is normal until they're able to establish a connection with another trunk port. I am able to get a connection by plugging a laptop into the interface on either switch. I have also verified that the VTP configuration is the same on both ends. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeff,

I apologize it is a basic question, have you tried to use an RJ-45 cross-over cable ?

because you say the port does not come up I would point at a cabling issue

Hope to help

Giuseppe

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Either use a crossover or set the port speed and duplex on each end to auto/auto and enable the mdix function on the 3750 and it should come active .

Thanks for the replies, guys. It is indeed working with a crossover cable. Most of our trunk ports are fiber, so I didn't even give MDIX a thought.

If all interfaces supported auto-MDIX life would be much easier :-)

Darren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco