Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking multicast data under MVR between two switches

Jeff Harned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have been trying to trunk multicast data configured under MVR between two Cisco switches.

A 3750 switch is the source of two multicast data streams with a 2950 used to output to a receiving unit that will accept

both multicast data. 

My situation is that I can not pass any of this data through a trunk.  I have researched for answers and have tried several trunk configurations with no

success.  I have attached two files; one for the configuration of the switches and one a show command showing that status of the trunk ports.

I did notice that under the show command for the 3750 that for the Operational Mode states as being down.

I could use help with this as I am learning!.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

5 Replies 5

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeff,

MVR is not a commonly used feature. I do not see the receiver part of the config? Also, just want to be clear, are you trying to pass multicast traffic across different VLANs?

HTH,

Lei Tian

Hi Lei

The second page under the "trunk " attachment is the the receiver side.  The 3750 has two ports, each with a single sending unit out multicasting two single data streams.  Port 1 is multicasting 239.1.1.4 and port 2 is multicasting  239.1.1.3.  Since this is a MVR configuration only one Vlan is created; mvr Vlan 10 containing both multicasting data streams.

On the second page of the attachment is the receiving side which is the 2950 switch.  Port 10 of the 2950 is connected to one receiver unit that is configured to receive both data streams.  This side is also configured with the same Vlan as the sending side; mvr VLAN 10.   Port 5 of both switches are used as the "trunk" ports.

The issue is that I can not get both multicast data streams to pass through the trunk to the 2950.

Please know at this time that I am not able to do any Inter-VLAN Multicast IP Routing at this time.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

So multicast sources and receiver are in same VLAN 10? If that's the case, you don't need MVR for passing multicast traffic. You need enable igmp querier on the 3750 instead.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Lei

There must be more complex things going on with MVR.  For now at least I should get away from trying to use it.

I do have one thing going on today that maybe you can ease my mind on with MVR.  I was able to finally "trunk" both multicast data streams from the 3750 to the 2950 switch. However, the multicast data would not multicast out of the configured port on the 2950 that is connected to a receiver unit that can receive both multicast data.

I configured a monitor port on the 2950 so I could look at the "trunk" port to verify if I was even receiving the multicast data.  I used Wireshark and sure enough the multicast data was passing through the "trunk" port.  What I do not understand is why I had no multicast data coming out of the receiver port to the receiving unit??  I know the data is good because I jumped from the monitor port directly into the receiver unit and the data was processed.  Any explanation on what is going on here?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I looked again your receiver side config. It has mvr type source configured. It should be 'mvr type receiver'. Also, as I mentioned, your source and receiver are in same VLAN, you need enabled IGMP querier, not MVR.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: