Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking VLANs

hechemg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm no expert in switching so I'll try to be as clear as possible.

I have a Catalyst 3560 switch (IOS 12.2) which is already connected to an Alcatel switch through a trunk (802.1q). This trunk carries 2 VLANs: 10 and 20.

I have to add a new VLAN (id 60), which is already created on both switches and configured to pass through the trunk in the Alcatel side.

In the Catalyst I have to connect an access point to a port which will use both VLANs 10 (untagged) and 60 (tagged), and this is what I'm not suer how to achieve.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guillermo

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Guillermo

Can't help you with the AP config but if you want to know what to do on the switch -

int gi0/1 <--- this connects to the AP

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,60

switchport trunk native vlan 10

the above config makes the port a trunk port and allows vlans 10 and 60. The "switchport trunk native vlan 10" line means that packets in vlan 10 are not tagged between the AP and the switch. Note it is very important that the AP also agrees that the native vlan is 10 otherwise you could experience problems with STP.

Also worth mentioning is that the native vlan (the vlan on a trunk link that is not tagged) can be different per trunk link as long as each trunk link agrees on the native vlan at either end. So setting the native vlan to vlan 10 on the switch to AP trunk link has no effect on whether vlan 10 is tagged between the Cisco switch and the Alcatel switch.

Jon

Hi Jon!

Guillermo,

What type of AP is it, and is it controlled by a WLC or is it autonomous? I can help with autonomous, but not if it's controlled by wlc, and even more clueless if it's not a Cisco AP

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John

See you are a VIP now. Good to see you are still helping people sort out their networks

Jon

Jon,

That did the trick!

Thak you very much.

Guillermo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card