Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured 3 VLANs on my switch. I want to configure the interfaces on the router to accomodate the trunking information i just made. There is no Etherchannel on my switch since i have a stack. switch is doing dot1q trunking

How do i do that?

Appreciate your response.

Regards

Navneet

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Navneet,

I believe you are talking on inter vlan routing with router on stick model.

You need to create sub-interfaces on your router port to which your switch port is connected and then configure encapsulation under all subinterfaces.

Something like this

interface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

interface fa0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

Now for any subinterface to support encapsulation command it is necessary that your router IOS is having a minimum of IP PLUS feature set.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

Hi Navneet,

Just to add to Ankur's Post, try configuring the " native " vlan keyword under the respective vlan sub-interface which is a native vlan on the switch. By defualt Vlan 1 is Native vlan on the cisco switch. So whenever you are configuring the sub-interface for vlan1 on your router use "Native" keyword with that.Otherwise the things will not work. For example

nterface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

ip adddress a.a.a.a c.c.c.0

Check the link posted by the first poster, that link will really help you.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Thnx for the Link Jolmo. It really helped.

Cheers

Navneet

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Navneet,

I believe you are talking on inter vlan routing with router on stick model.

You need to create sub-interfaces on your router port to which your switch port is connected and then configure encapsulation under all subinterfaces.

Something like this

interface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

interface fa0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

Now for any subinterface to support encapsulation command it is necessary that your router IOS is having a minimum of IP PLUS feature set.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

Thanks a Lot.I was looking for the exact answer. I knew the config when etherchannel is configured on a switch.But this basic thing confused me..:))

Thanks Buddy

Cheers

Navneet

Hi Navneet,

Just to add to Ankur's Post, try configuring the " native " vlan keyword under the respective vlan sub-interface which is a native vlan on the switch. By defualt Vlan 1 is Native vlan on the cisco switch. So whenever you are configuring the sub-interface for vlan1 on your router use "Native" keyword with that.Otherwise the things will not work. For example

nterface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

ip adddress a.a.a.a c.c.c.0

Check the link posted by the first poster, that link will really help you.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Yes i got the point.

Thnx Amit

Navneet

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card