Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to emluate T1 bandwidth on LAN switchport

olighec
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to do a test of some thin clients internally at my office and I want to emulate T1 bandwidth on a switchport so I can get an idea of how they will perform at the other end of a T1 link.

I have been using a policy-map to achieve the bandwidth policing, but I am not sure it is working. Here is what I have done: (G0/2 is the downlink port to the switch the thin clients are connected to.)

policy-map Test_Limit

class class-default

police 1544000 193000 exceed-action drop

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

description Trunk to test switch

switchport mode trunk

service-policy output Test_Limit

I used one of those bandwidth testers on the Internet and got the 9.3Mb/s result both before and after I applied the policy.

Am I doing this correctly, or is there a better way?

For reference, the switch I am applying the policy on is a C3560-24PS running 12.2(25)SEE and the test switch with the thin clients is a C2960-24TT-L running 12.2(35)SE5.

Thanks,

Chris

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

if you want to emulate T1 bandwidth you need to do it in both directions

use a second policy-map for inbound direction

make it similar to the first and apply it inbound

policy-map Test_Limit_IN

class class-default

police 1544000 193000 exceed-action drop

int gi0/2

service-policy output Test_Limit

service-policy input Test_Limit_IN

to verify if the commands are effective use

sh policy-map int

if no matches they are bypassed by multilayer switching

there is a limitation on this platform:

Follow these guidelines when configuring policy maps on physical ports:

•You can attach only one policy map per ingress port.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1044737

This would explain your results with and without the policer

if I understand correctly the policer is supported only inbound on a physical interface

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

". . . or is there a better way?"

The problem with policers, they don't emulate a slower interface which usually also queues overspeed traffic. A shaper would be a better choice for T1 emulation, but don't believe the 3560 supports it. However, the "srr-queue bandwidth limit" command should mimic the queuing better but it might not emulate the speed exactly. For best speed match, set port to 10 Mbps then set "srr-queue bandwidth limit" to 15(%).

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I will try the srr-queue bandwidth limit command. Unfortunately I already tried applying and input and output policy, but the switch would not allow me to apply a policy in the input direction.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: