Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Turbo ACLs

Hi,

Can any one help me to understand TURBO ACLs?

I have the fundamental clear about it such as:-

The configured access lists are maintian in a sequencial order and the look up time and CPU recuired is reduced.

But i need to know exactly how it works and which platforms support this function.

TIA...

regards,

shri :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Turbo ACLs

Basically, Turbo ACLs(also known as Compiled ACLs) takes a std or extended ACL, creates a set of data / lookup tables and compiles them for runtime processing. This reduces the number of CPU operations to find a match, allowing larger ACls to be used without increase in packet latency.

Suppose, Turbo ACL is activated on a router, it takes the std/extended ACL as input, creates tables based on those ACL entries, and compiles the tables to allow an arrayed match. Generally, the result is that a match is achieved in 5 steps, regardless of the size of the ACL.

This also indicates that Turbo ACLs are useful when ACL have more than 5 entries. Normal ACLs with 3-5 entries would outperform Turbo ACLs. But with 300-400 lines , Turbo ACLs would outperform sequentially searched ACLs.

for further details :

http://cco.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/dttacl.htm

2 REPLIES

Basically, Turbo ACLs(also known as Compiled ACLs) takes a std or extended ACL, creates a set of data / lookup tables and compiles them for runtime processing. This reduces the number of CPU operations to find a match, allowing larger ACls to be used without increase in packet latency.

Suppose, Turbo ACL is activated on a router, it takes the std/extended ACL as input, creates tables based on those ACL entries, and compiles the tables to allow an arrayed match. Generally, the result is that a match is achieved in 5 steps, regardless of the size of the ACL.

This also indicates that Turbo ACLs are useful when ACL have more than 5 entries. Normal ACLs with 3-5 entries would outperform Turbo ACLs. But with 300-400 lines , Turbo ACLs would outperform sequentially searched ACLs.

for further details :

http://cco.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/dttacl.htm

hi aditya,

Thanx a lot for your reply.

It is really very help full to me.

Regards,

shri :)

Views
Helpful
Replies