Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Turning a 3560-24 port into a 48 port switch

Hi,

I would like to know if this is even possible? If it is possible, can I assign static mac address to route the other switch? For example:  If dest mac address matches A:B:C:D:E:F, send it to port 38.  So if Port 2 receives this packet, it will be routed to port 38. 

Sounds simple enough, but i'm not sure if I can do this.

Thanks,

Mark

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Turning a 3560-24 port into a 48 port switch

It is simpler if you don't.  A switch does this by default.  If the switch receives a packet it will initially send all the packets to all interface (except where it came from).  It will note down what interface receives it.  The next time a packet with the same destination arrives, the switch will look up the table and say, yes, I know who this guy is and sends it down the appropriate interface.

For my application, I MUST use static mac address using the "mac address-table static" command.  

If that is the case, is it still possible?

Thanks,

Mark

Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, not with a 3560. With a 3750, you can use the stackwise functionality to turn two physical switches into one logical switch, and can easily statically map mac-addresses exactly as you stated.

Hope that helps,

Bobby

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I've seen a "stunt" like this.  It was because the server has a paid application and the registration key is based on MAC address.  The easiest way for us to do is to over-ride the default MAC address of the server with a static one.

Views
Helpful
Replies