Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Two 3750 switch stack questions

Sorry to bother you with this, but I hope someone can quickly give me an answer to that "easy" question:

I have a stack of two 3750, configured by some technician, and now need to maintain them.

In the config, I can only find these lines regarding a stack:

switch 1 provision ws-c3750g-48ps

switch 2 provision ws-c3750g-48ps

interface Vlan1

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.252.0

Show switch gives:

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 001b.0dcd.d680

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

------------------------------------------------------

1 Member 001b.0dcd.d980 1 0 Ready

*2 Master 001b.0dcd.d680 1 0 Ready

Now the questions:

1. I have no experience with switch stacks, so I've read the chapters in the manual.
    To me it looks that master election is based on MAC address, am I wrong?
    Could it be that after a reboot or an IOS update, master and server roles get swapped for some reason?
  2. What happens if I replace any of the stack members with an unconfigured, freshly unpacked spare switch?
    I need master and member roles to be kept, is that provided with the configuration that I have?

Andreas

Everyone's tags (2)
1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Two 3750 switch stack questions

There are a lot of factors for the master elections and your questions are answered in the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

Since you are going to manage these switches, I highly recommend getting familiar with the documentation.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content