cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Catalyst 3560-X switches - anything required to connect the two together?

danborchert
Level 1
Level 1

I have one 3560-X switch currently in production. I bought another one to expand. Can I simply install it in the same rack and connect the two with a standard patch cable? Is a crossover cable required? Any special port configuration required? My "manual" for the 3560 keeps referencing the 3750-X. I don't have any "Stackwise" or "Stackpower" ports on the back. I'm sorry for posting such a simple question but what surprises me even more is I cannot find any information online in the last hour about this. I called support and they told me to come here.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To confirm though, a straight-through OR crossover cable will work to connect the two switches and no settings need to be configured on the two ports I use? 

You can connect using either cables because, by default, MDI/MDI-X is enabled.  However, if someone hard-codes the speed and/or duplex settings, MDI/MDI-X is disabled, hence, my recommendation you use cross-over cable instead.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have one 3560-X switch currently in production. I bought another one to expand. Can I simply install it in the same rack and connect the two with a standard patch cable? Is a crossover cable required?

It is better to use a cross-over cable so in case someone likes to get pedantic and hard-code the speed/duplex setting you won't panic.

My "manual" for the 3560 keeps referencing the 3750-X. I don't have any "Stackwise" or "Stackpower" ports on the back. 

You have a 3560-X and like the 3750-X you should have StackPower.  StackPower will depend on whether or not you have a redundant power supply installed at either one of the units. If you didn't exercise this option, then you don't need to.  

As to the accuracy of the documentation, yes, Cisco's been dropping-the-ball lately with documentation ... and from what I've heard, it's going to get worst as more and more people leave.  

Thanks Leo. I'm shipping it across the country and they're hoping to just plug-and-play with it. I will just ship an odd-colored crossover cable with it, and tell them to just connect the two switches with that cable -- any port to any port (there are no VLANS).

If I'm missing anything please let me know. Thanks for the quick reply too!

This might save you a lot of time:  How to use Zero-Touch SmartInstall

Oh wow. That's an impressive how-to! Luckily the switch is just a basic install and nothing fancy. To confirm though, a straight-through OR crossover cable will work to connect the two switches and no settings need to be configured on the two ports I use? Thanks again Leo!

To confirm though, a straight-through OR crossover cable will work to connect the two switches and no settings need to be configured on the two ports I use? 

You can connect using either cables because, by default, MDI/MDI-X is enabled.  However, if someone hard-codes the speed and/or duplex settings, MDI/MDI-X is disabled, hence, my recommendation you use cross-over cable instead.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

this issue might me the original switch must have been configured if you can share the configuration we can easily resolve this issue if the cable is correct

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card