cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two equal IP's

afrancomed
Level 1
Level 1

I have two computers sharing the same IP address. My service provider don't let me change that. Besides I need to obtain data from these machines. What can I do for acces them? It's possible to use a Catalyst 6500 or another for resolve this problem? I mean if it's possible obtain two different addresses for each computer across the switch? Thank you.

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Yes you can use any layer 3 switch and configure that switch as a DHCP server. Your machines can connect to this switch and can obtain 2 different ip address from the DHCP server.

But the 2 machines which share same ip address are alloted to you by ISP? Is this ip address private ip address or public ip address? If you can explain bit more about your scenario may be better solution can be provided to you.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur, Thank you for your quick response, let me be more specific, I have two Power Generators not connected to the Internet but in a private network, this PG's have a TCP/IP based communication, my problem is that the manufacturer doesn't allow me to change the IP of any of them, and the static IP's from them are the same, the cost to change the PG is out off the charts! So, I'm looking for an answer for this, is there a CISCO solution for it? I've thought about a device that I can configure to receive the static IP from one of them and then change it to another IP that I can handle and have it connected to my network.

Hi,

You can do 2 way NATing, as in the case of address overlapping 1 way NATing can't do the job, check this scenario:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f30.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card