cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two vlans share one resource.

jalinksys
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router on a stick running two vlans. How would I configure vlan routing so that both vlans can access the same host on one of the vlans?

21 Replies 21

I am trying to help but your short answers are not really giving enough information so it's difficult to know what you are doing

changed the default gateway on which vlan ?

if it is not vlan 12 have you added a route on the gateway device to tell it how to get back to that subnet ?

which are you trying to sort out, inter vlan routing or internet access

Also did you read all my replies and understand them ?

If you didn't in terms of routing etc. then please ask for clarification otherwise it will be very difficult for you to get all this to work.

Jon

From the start my goal was to get the other vlans online. At first I thought it was a matter of intervlan routing. I now understand that is not the case.

I have changed the deafult gateway on vlan 11 to the sub interface (122.98.11.254).

What do you mean by "route on the gateway device to tell it how to get back to that subnet" ?

Sorry for the short answers.

It is partly to do with routing between vlans because you need access to resources on one vlan from others. But it is also internet by the looks of it.

So, concentrating on vlan 11 it's default gateway has to be the router subinterface IP for vlan 11 which you have done.

What i mean by adding routes is that the gateway device does not know anything about the vlan 11 subnet. So assuming it is a Cisco router you would need to add to the gateway device -

ip route 122.98.11.0 255.255.255.0 122.98.12.254

and you would need a route for all not vlan 12 subnets pointing to the same next hop IP as above.

This would mean the gateway device now knows where to send return traffic to for non vlan 12 subnets.

In terms of vlan 12 clients please see my previous post as to which defautl gateway you can use.

Jon

Could you please clarify why you are routing it back to the vlan 12 sub interface (122.98.12.254) .

Do you mean why the route i posted is pointing back to the vlan 12 subinterface ?

If so this is because the gateway device is in vlan 12. So it's next hop IP address needs to be in the same subnet (unless you are using recursive routing but we aren't).

It is how routing works ie. with the route i posted you are basically saying to the gateway device -

to send traffic to a 122.98.11.x address you need to send the packets to 122.98.12.254 because the gateway device knows about that network since it has a directly connected interface in that network.

Jon

Thanks for the clarification. I have added a route on the gateway device and everything works now. Thank you for working with me on this. Being 16 I am new to cisco networking.

Thanks for letting us know it worked.

Glad to have helped.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card