Views
Helpful
Replies

udp flow mechanism

lohit prasad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have a question regarding UDP. I know UDP is a stateless protocol. But what are scenarios where we send data traffic using UDP beacuse using UDP we send keepalives messages/communication protocols use UDP like SNMP/RIP/OSPF but in all cases hello messages are sent continuosly irrespective of expecting retransmission funda like TCP. so what will happen if data is sent by UDP and data is lost in between then as user , I need to send data again or what are scenarios where UDP is used for data transfer ? Also I want to know waht are scenarios where we prefer UDP than TCP and why ? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

DJX995
Level 3
Level 3

If data is lost using UDP, upper layer protocols need to be able to handle this.

So, the application using UDP to transfer data must handle the errors and recover.

In TCP, this is built in.

The application does not have to specifically handle transmission errors because they will be resolved at the transport layer.

When low latency is required, UDP is preferred.

UDP is smaller, faster, and has less overhead.

Otherwise TCP should be used.

View solution in original post

Hi,

In addition to what FratianiD (+5) has posted
Have a read at this link.
It explains about error checking and udp usage for time critical apps like voip etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

Hope this helps
Regards
Alex 

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lohit prasad
Level 1
Level 1

no single reply for my thread ? ok thanks.

DJX995
Level 3
Level 3

If data is lost using UDP, upper layer protocols need to be able to handle this.

So, the application using UDP to transfer data must handle the errors and recover.

In TCP, this is built in.

The application does not have to specifically handle transmission errors because they will be resolved at the transport layer.

When low latency is required, UDP is preferred.

UDP is smaller, faster, and has less overhead.

Otherwise TCP should be used.

Hi,

In addition to what FratianiD (+5) has posted
Have a read at this link.
It explains about error checking and udp usage for time critical apps like voip etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

Hope this helps
Regards
Alex 

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card