cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UDP statistics - "no port"

n.bedbury
Level 1
Level 1

When I run the command "show ip traffic" on a 3750X switch, I see some output like this:

UDP statistics:                                                                 
  Rcvd: 24289 total, 0 checksum errors, 24289 no port                           
  Sent: 0 total, 0 forwarded broadcasts    

What does the # by "no port" mean?  Are packets for "no port" correctly propagated?

4 Replies 4

rwillisns
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen the same on my 2811 router.  Seem if the device isn't expecting something on a particular UDP port it increments this counter.  In my case my rounter is incrementing this value because of unexpected UDP port 137 traffic.

UDP statistics:
Rcvd: 11353897 total, 0 checksum errors, 11110169 no port
Sent: 66093 total, 0 forwarded broadcasts

Hi,

Increasing "no port" means : Number of times a packet was received that was directed to a port with no application listening.

It probable cause can be Layer 1 problem especially in fiber optic links. check your connections first.

Then inspect your cpu processes for noticeable spikes.

HTH

Houtan

I'm seeing the same high count on my side and it increase pretty regularly. How do you track down the cause? I have a couple of fiber links plugged in but I'm not aware of any issues with them.

I had similar experience before and find the faulty port by disconnecting them one by one.

Houtan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: