cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Connect to 2960G-24TC-L Switch

owens
Level 1
Level 1

We have configured a 2960G-24TC-L (Lan Based) switch up with IP address/default gateway (VLan 9) etc and it appears in our network and any device we connect to it has network access but we cannot communicate with it.

We use Cisco 2960s IP Based switches in our network here. With these switches we can manage them via Cisco Network Assistant and Telnet which the LAN based switch does not seem to give. Do you know of any way around this? Is it a configuration issue? Any help you could give would be most appreciated. I have attached a copy of the switch config.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure the L2 vlan  for vlan 9 is in the vlan database., "show vlan "  Check the default gateway on the switch and verify it matches the interface on the router. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Owen,

Looking at your config I think interface GigabitEthernet0/20 is the uplink to your Core/Distribution layer device. If this is the full config of your switch than users connecting to any of the ports will be a part of Vlan 1 which is passed over the trunk by default and hence the PC's connecting to this switch are able to communicate with the outside network. If you see the trunk configuration there are no other Vlans passed and hence the Vlan 9 management interface could not be reached.

Solution

Add the command "switchport trunk allowed vlan add 9" under interface Gig 0/20.

HTH

Regards

Umesh

***Do not forget to rate helpful posts***

He should not  have to add vlan 9 under interface 20 because the the statement switchport mode trunk  indicates all vlans are allowed by default.  you may want to check the opposite end and make sure vlan 9 is allowed across the trunk.

Hi Glen,

You right, I just skipped my mind there, thnx for reminding me.

Regards

Umesh

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure the L2 vlan  for vlan 9 is in the vlan database., "show vlan "  Check the default gateway on the switch and verify it matches the interface on the router. 

owens
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you guys for your very helpful posts. The issue was an oversight on my behalf which you have all picked up on. I never added the Vlan information to the switch configuration. When I did add them, we were able to communicate with the switch via Vlan 9. Thank you again for all your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card