cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to enable REP on 3750x IOS 15.2

JamesHullRA
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a neophyte on the IOS in general, and the 3750x specifically, so all suggestions gratefully accepted. I'm attempting to configure REP on a new 3750x24P-S that has been flashed to IOS 15.2 universalK9. The message I get is "conflict with current switchport mode". As I do more research I'm starting to wonder if this is related to the license level I'm at. The ipbase shows as permanent, but the ipservices still shows in Evaluation mode. Some of the notes I saw here seemed to suggest that ipservices needed to be applied for you'd be able to edit the port settings, which *might* apply here.

I tried accepting the EULA, and it appeared to work, but a reboot of the switch still shows ipservices in eval mode. Further attempts at accepting the EULA now do nothing, as if it has already been applied. So, any suggestions as to why I can't seem to configure my ports for REP? Other than the initial setup, the switch is at defaults right now.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

James,

Have you configured the interface as a layer 2 trunk -

Only trunk ports are supported.

Understanding REP

One REP segment is a chain of ports connected to each other and configured with a segment ID. Each segment consists of standard (non-edge) segment ports and two user-configured edge ports. A switch can have no more than two ports that belong to the same segment, and each segment port can have only one external neighbor. A segment can go through a shared medium, but on any link only two ports can belong to the same segment. REP is supported only on Layer 2 trunk interfaces.

Figure 24-1 shows an example of a segment consisting of six ports spread across four switches. Ports E1 and E2 are configured as edge ports. When all ports are operational (as in the segment on the left), a single port is blocked, shown by the diagonal line. When there is a failure in the network, as shown in the diagram on the right, the blocked port returns to the forwarding state to minimize network disruption.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15.0_2_se/configuration/guide/swrep.html

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JamesHullRA
Level 1
Level 1

I'd had a crash during the initial upgrade to 15.2, and started to doubt the health of the system, so I updated the firmware one more time. That ended up causing some other minor drama, but in the end it went in as expected.

Once I'd accomplished that, I used the smartport configuration to set the two ports I intended to put in the ring as "Cisco Switch". With that setting applied correctly, the CLI commands for REP configuration worked as they should have, and it appears my ring is now working correctly.

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

James,

Have you configured the interface as a layer 2 trunk -

Only trunk ports are supported.

Understanding REP

One REP segment is a chain of ports connected to each other and configured with a segment ID. Each segment consists of standard (non-edge) segment ports and two user-configured edge ports. A switch can have no more than two ports that belong to the same segment, and each segment port can have only one external neighbor. A segment can go through a shared medium, but on any link only two ports can belong to the same segment. REP is supported only on Layer 2 trunk interfaces.

Figure 24-1 shows an example of a segment consisting of six ports spread across four switches. Ports E1 and E2 are configured as edge ports. When all ports are operational (as in the segment on the left), a single port is blocked, shown by the diagonal line. When there is a failure in the network, as shown in the diagram on the right, the blocked port returns to the forwarding state to minimize network disruption.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15.0_2_se/configuration/guide/swrep.html

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Alex,

I believe that was, in fact the issue; part of my challenge is I also wasn't having any luck getting the ports configured as Layer 2 Trunks. Whether that was operator error (certainly possible given my relative newness to the CLI) or the firmware being a bit wonky is hard to say, but once I'd gotten that clean update of 15.2 to go, everything seemed to work correctly, the Cisco Switch smartport setting went in per my expectations, and then REP also worked as expected.

Thanks for taking time to respond!

Jim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card