cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to erase config on 2980

dav1dp0we11
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2980 switch running cat os version 7.6(6).  It has this in the configuration:  set authorization commands enable config tacacs+ deny console.

I can log in through the console port but can not do anything else.  Is there a way to erase the configuration and put this back to factory default?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The only other advice I can provide is to try to clear configuration from rommon, but for this procedure you should be on site or advise somebody who is there:

1) Go to ROMMON by restarting the switch and pressing the Break key during the first 60 seconds of startup.

2) You should get the rommon> prompt.

3) Issue the command "set boot config-register ignore-config enable".

4) Issue the command "boot bootflash:filename (see your bootflash).

5) The switch should load the factory default configuration (IE.:ALL YOUR CONFIG IS LOST!).

6) If succeeded, configure your switch as necessary.

Good luck,

Antonin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

if you are able to telnet to the switch (and know passwords) then you can issue the command "set authorization commands disable console" from the console>(enable) prompt.

Best regards,

Antonin

Thanks for responding.  It also has that same command  for telnet.  My problem is, this has been shipped from one location to another and it does not have access to tacacs.  I can not put it on the network with the config that is in it.  I am not at that location and do not have physical access to the box.

Everything I can find about this says another command should have been put in for a back door just for this, but unfortunately that wasnt done.  Can you tell me if these 2980's have removable flash?

Thanks

Maybe the password reset  procedure might work.  Plug the switch in and watch the messages , as soon as it asks for the password hit the enter key and see if that gets you in, if so immedialty type enable then hit the enter key, if that gets you into enable mode then use the clear config all command to strip the switch.

Hi,

The only other advice I can provide is to try to clear configuration from rommon, but for this procedure you should be on site or advise somebody who is there:

1) Go to ROMMON by restarting the switch and pressing the Break key during the first 60 seconds of startup.

2) You should get the rommon> prompt.

3) Issue the command "set boot config-register ignore-config enable".

4) Issue the command "boot bootflash:filename (see your bootflash).

5) The switch should load the factory default configuration (IE.:ALL YOUR CONFIG IS LOST!).

6) If succeeded, configure your switch as necessary.

Good luck,

Antonin

The switch is being sent to me.  This looks like it will do what I need.  Will give it a try as soon as I get the switch.

This worked great.  Switch is back to default.

Thank you.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Thats one old switch.

I'd try the recovery procedure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_password_recovery09186a00801349aa.shtml

and see how far you get.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: