cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping printers

tom.gabriel
Level 1
Level 1

I randomly lose ICMP connection to my printers from my 1720 router. Once I ping the IP from the router the first packet fails and the next four are good. Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

Your first statement is you randomly loose connection but your second statement is only first packet fails and rest all goes fine.

Your second situation is normal because when you ping from your router, your router may not be having an arp entry for which it drops the first packet and when entry is build it all 4 packtes will go fine.

HTH

Ankur

tom.gabriel
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the confusion. Let me clear that up a little. My workstations lose that are local and remote terminal servers lose connection to printers. Once I ping them from the router they regain connectivity and work fine. Once the printers are back up I am able to ping them from the router and not have any failed pings.

Hi Tom.

Did you already tried to set up a fixed MAC Address entry for the printers on the switch?

regards,

are all the devices on the same subnet/network?

dballard99
Level 1
Level 1

check your arp table and make static entries if necessary.

The terminal servers are on a different network, but the local PC's are on the same network. How do I make a static entry. I have used the DHCP pool feature, but is there another way?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card