cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to RDP

jeanaguemon
Level 1
Level 1

I have two servers located on the DMZ and plugged into the same switch. Both servers are on the same subnet 192.168.0.0/24, and I'm unable to RDP from server 1 to server 2 but can RDP from server 2 to server 1. server 1 can ping server 2 and vice versa. I can RDP from a remote location to server 2 but not from server 1. All windows firewall are turned off. Both servers are on the same vlan 99. I used all my resources. Can anyone helps me ? Did anyone experience this before ? I will appreciate any help to resolve this issue. Thanks.

20 Replies 20

Okay, the capture only shows two sessions, both initiated from x.y.z.65

The first session is a short one, second is a longer one. I do not see any session initiation from x.y.z.68 (no syn packet from this source ip)

It seems it does not even try to connect in that case, unless your caputure is filtering something out.

Leo

Yes there is a connection initiated from 192.168.0.68 unless I sent the wrong file. My apologies. Check out this new file then.

Thanks.

Yep,

This file shows one session initiated from x.y.z.68 to x.y.z.65

Filtering this out you can easily see what happens. It establishes the connection, then some packets are exchanged after which x.y.z.65 sends a tcp reset.

This means that for some reason the server rejects the connection by sending a tcp reset.

You will need to look into why x.y.z.65 sends the tcp reset. It does that for a reason.

The most likely cause I can think of in this case is that x.y.z.68 is an older client (using lower encryption) and x.y.z.65 is a higher version, and not configured for "client compatible" encryption level. That could explain why other servers work and this one does not.

Changing the encryption level is performed within the Terminal Services Configuration utility, located under All Programs, Administrative Tools. Open the Properties dialog box of the Microsoft RDP 5.2 protocol type in the Connections folder and click the General tab. This reveals the Encryption level box, which can be changed between high and client compatible.

HTH,

Leo

Both servers .68 and .65 encryption level are set to "client compatible". I appreciate your help. I have no more clues. If you think of anything else, please let me know. By the way this problem started after I upgraded the code to a crypto to support SSH on the switch connecting both servers. Thanks.

I don't see any reason why upgrading the swtch would be relevant to this issue, but if it did start right after you upgraded the switch you might be hitting a bug (in that case, check the bug toolkit and if you can not find anything, open a TAC case).

My feeling though tells me it as nothing to do with upgrading the switch. Typically, such upgrades happen during maintenance windows and it might be that something changed on the x.y.z.65 server as well.

Check the event logs on the server and debug rdp on that server (you might need to check microsoft knowledgebase for the how to, if at all possible). I suspect the server just drops the connection it for whatever reason.

If you think the issue might be related to the switch upgrade, you could simply downgrade the switch to the previous image to rule out any bugs in the ssh image.

Good luck troubleshooting and let us know when you found the solution.

Thanks,

Leo

Guys,

I backed out my code version 12.2(37)SE Image C3560-IPBASEK9-M and everything works fine. Server 1 can RDP to server 2. Server 1 can map drive to server 2. At this time, I'm running a non crypto software on my 3560-G connecting both servers.

Thanks all for your input and ideas. It is great to have this forum.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: