Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to set vtp mode to client or server

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring switch as vtp client but after some time it is going to vtp transparent mode.

Switch Model: 2950

IOS version: 12.1

I tried with vtp mode server option also. But same thing happened.

I am seeing log message like " vlan database manager changing vtp mode from client or server to transparent"

In show running configuration it is showing "vtp mode transparent". I tried to remove it but couldn't.

Any suggestions to change vtp mode?

Regards

skrao

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Perhaps you are morte successful when you use the (deprecated) command: vlan database

after this you can enter: vtp server to alter the setting. Then type exit to properly save the configuration.

Otherwise you can try to delete the vlan.dat file from flash and re-enter the vlan config.

Regards,

Leo

Hello,

there is a limitation on the number of VLAN's a trunk on the 2950 can carry, if that limit is exceeded, the VTP mode changes to transparent. I am not sure if the limit was 4 or 64, but anyway, try to limit the number of VLANs carried over the trunk by either using pruning (VTP pruning), or by manually allowing only the VLANs you actually need on the trunk (with the 'switchport trunk vlan allowed' command).

HTH,

GNT

also VTP only supports vlans upto 1000 (I think this is the value). If you already have created VLAN's above this value you will not be able to change the vtp mode to server/client (although you should see an error message).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card