Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to take control in console mode

MurielleBRAZIER
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I use a C2950-24 switch, with IOS 12.1(22)EA12 release.

When I try to connect in console mode, I can see the "Press RETURN to get started!" message, but it's not possible to me to have the # prompt.

An "authorization failed" message is displayed. And the same message is prompted.

I try to recover password by following the recovery procedure. After the boot command, I never see the message "Continue with the configuration dialog? [yes/no]: ".

How can I solve this problem ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Murielle,

The reason you see that "Authorization failed" message at the console is because in the config AAA authentication must be configured and no fallback option of enable or local username is there.

And another point that I would like to make is, this switch I am assuming is not connected to the Network is it? If the connectivity to the AAA server is restored then you will see most probably a username and password prompt but if AAA server cannot be communicated then the only thing that you can do is to do a password recovery on the switch so that you can boot the switch with a blank config

Here is the document explaining the procedure in detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Hope it helps.

Neeraj

View solution in original post

Hi Murielle,

I think you missing some steps in password recovery process. The commands in order are:

flash_init

load_helper

dir flash:     -check if config.text file is there

rename flash:config.text flash:config.text.old

boot

after booting

rename back the file

copy config file to running config

change password and save it

Hope it helps

Eugen

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

viswamin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you get the message "Press Return to get Started" and when you hit enter it actually goes to the user prompt which is ">". you have to type your enable and then password to go the mode "#" which is called as privelege mode.

are you getting any prompt or are you not getting any.

on the recovery procedure, on the dialog just enter "No" and you should get into User Mode ">" and when you type "enable" you should get into "privilege mode #" wihtout the password.

Hope this helps

-Vijay

Vijay

I have a slightly different understanding of the problem presented by the original poster. I believe that he must be getting a prompt because he reports that the error is an authorization error. I do not see how there could be an authorization error other than as a result of processing an attempt to login following a prompt. But I do agree that the description of what happens is pretty vague and that it would help us understand the problem better if the original poster would give a more detailed description of what is happening.

Also my understanding is that he is attempting to perform password recovery but is not receiving any prompt about the configuration dialogue. I am not sure why that would be the case other than the config register not being set correctly. Perhaps it would help if the original poster would post a screen shot showing commands entered during the password recovery and any responses received.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Vijay, Richard

Thanks for your answers...

In fact there are 2 problems:

1/ when I want to connect to the switch in console mode, I see the promt "Press Return to get started". But the "enter"key does not allow me to access to any prompt (see "C2050-24 Console.txt" screen shot)

As a message "Authorization failed" is displayed, I tried to perform password recovery.

2/ At the end of password recovery process, I can't acces to any prompt. Only "Press retrun to get strated" is displayed...

(see "C2050-24 Console.txt" screen shot)

Thanks

Murielle

Murielle,

The reason you see that "Authorization failed" message at the console is because in the config AAA authentication must be configured and no fallback option of enable or local username is there.

And another point that I would like to make is, this switch I am assuming is not connected to the Network is it? If the connectivity to the AAA server is restored then you will see most probably a username and password prompt but if AAA server cannot be communicated then the only thing that you can do is to do a password recovery on the switch so that you can boot the switch with a blank config

Here is the document explaining the procedure in detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Hope it helps.

Neeraj

Hi Murielle,

I think you missing some steps in password recovery process. The commands in order are:

flash_init

load_helper

dir flash:     -check if config.text file is there

rename flash:config.text flash:config.text.old

boot

after booting

rename back the file

copy config file to running config

change password and save it

Hope it helps

Eugen

Thansks a lot.

I succeed in having the prompt. I will correct the AAA configuration.

Thanks again

Murielle

hey, i can't even press any button and stucks at there. What should i do!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card