cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to VPN with Cisco 850

omnicron32
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed a Cisco 851 Router. I have everything working pretty well EXCEPT I am unable to complete a VPN Connection outbound nor can we VPN inbound. The outbound connections are from Windows XP PCs using the built in Microsoft software. I can connect to the other server (different domain 10 miles down the road) and input username and password and then it just sits there. I believe this involves GRE pass-through but I can not figure out how to configure. Nor can we get VPN incoming to our server. I have port 1728 port forwarding but again I think GRE is rearing its ugly head.

Worked great on my Linksys router.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is my first exposure to Cisco products.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

ahh, cisco is a bit more sophisticated than linksys, albeit much more powerful.

there are a few pieces to keep in mind with cisco crypto configuration.

is your key correctly configured on both ends of the vpn?

is your cryptoMap correctly configured?

is your transformSet correctly configured on both ends for encryption and hash?

is the vpnd enabled? set for pppoe?

the above are just a few of the most vital points.

please see the following link for an example configuration of the 850 with easyVPN confiuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045d279.html

I shouldn't need a key for both ends of the VPN. I am merely trying to connect to various customer VPNS that terminate to their router or to their servers. I am using statdard Windows VPN applet for this.

I am not trying to create a site to site firewall with the routers connecting to each other.

My traffic is being allowed outbound and then blocked inbound. There is obviously another port I need to allow inbound or else something I need to do in my firewall configuration.

I looked at easyVPN and that seems to be for use with the Cisco VPN client. We were using pass-through VPN on our previous setup with direct connection to the Remote Access Server built into Windows server.

A little background:

We have a cable modem on a Cisco 851

I am using SDM to configure as I do not know IOS commands. I basically used the wizards with some customization of the NAT rules.

I barely know what a cryptomap or transform is. I am hoping to find a good book on this, but so far have failed.

Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate all help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card