Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Understanding 6500 Hybrid routing w/SVI's

Hi,

I am working with a network that is adding a new subnet to the network. I need to provide QoS by prioritization and policing between a 6500 hybrid and a 7200. I have no problem with the QoS, but am struggling to understand why the routing is working the way that it is.

I have included an image that shows my question. My question is, why is only the layer2 interface on the SUP seeing a traffic load, when the layer3 SVI on the MSFC2 is seeing no load. I want to do the policing on this layer 3 SVI, but don't know how it will work when it's seeing no load. The picture should help.

Also, based on the picture, I know that I can do what I need on the 7200's, but would like to control at layer3 on the 6500.

Thanks,

Jeff

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Understanding 6500 Hybrid routing w/SVI's

Most traffic is CEf switched in hardware and very little gets passed up to the MSFC , cef uses the FIB tables to route packets in hardware . On a hybrid I believe most of the policy will be done on the catos side , though can't say we have done a lot with that ,maybe someone else can elaborate...

That's what I was guessing. Thanks for the response.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks.

Any ideas? I've not found much other information on this.

Thanks.

Purple
Views
Helpful
Replies