Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding how the Cat 3750 stack works

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, thanks for your help on this quick and basic question:

In order to take advantage of a stack of Catalyst 3750 switches, I should just expect to have two NIC's (Network Adapters) onto my servers? That way I would plug NIC1->Cable1->onto Cat 3750 "blade 1" and NIC2->Cable2-> onto Cat 3750 "blade 2"?

Then in the event of failure in one of the switches, the cables on the back of the Cat 3750 would take care of the failover for me automatically.

Is that right?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

STACK cable works only when both switches that its connected to is still up and running.

If you have two switch in a STACK for the purpose of redundancy, make sure that the uplink (router or firewall) is connected to both switches.

If your server NIC1 and NIC2 is configured as NIC-Teaming and the ports where its connected to in BLADE1 and BLADE2 switches are in the same VLAN, then if one of the switch fails, the server connection to the network failsover to the other switch.

If you configure interVLAN routing in a STACK switch, when the MASTER switch fails, though one of the member switch will be elected as MASTER switch, all VLAN interface MAC addresses change.

Dandy

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

STACK cable works only when both switches that its connected to is still up and running.

If you have two switch in a STACK for the purpose of redundancy, make sure that the uplink (router or firewall) is connected to both switches.

If your server NIC1 and NIC2 is configured as NIC-Teaming and the ports where its connected to in BLADE1 and BLADE2 switches are in the same VLAN, then if one of the switch fails, the server connection to the network failsover to the other switch.

If you configure interVLAN routing in a STACK switch, when the MASTER switch fails, though one of the member switch will be elected as MASTER switch, all VLAN interface MAC addresses change.

Dandy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card