Helpful
Replies

Understanding Spanning-Tree Protocol

joealbergo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

A port in the blocking state performs as follows:

• Discards frames received from the attached segment.

• Discards frames switched from another port for forwarding.

• Does not incorporate station location into its address database. (There is no learning at this point, so there is no address database update.)

• Receives BPDUs and directs them to the system module.

• Does not transmit BPDUs received from the system module.

• Receives and responds to network management messages.

When it says "Does not transmit BPDU's" does that mean just that specific switch is not transmitting, because there must be a switch sending out some sort of BPDU in order for the STP to be working right? I assume they are describing a switch alone by itself does not transmit anything. However if there was other switches already running STP successfully then it would transmit it's BPDU's to the new switch turned on?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Joe

Reference the following document for the source information: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/sw_ntman/cwsimain/cwsi2/cwsiug2/vlan2/stpapp.htm

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When it says "Does not transmit BPDU's" does that mean just that specific switch is not transmitting, because there must be a switch sending out some sort of BPDU in order for the STP to be working right? I assume they are describing a switch alone by itself does not transmit anything. However if there was other switches already running STP successfully then it would transmit it's BPDU's to the new switch turned on?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Joe

Reference the following document for the source information: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/sw_ntman/cwsimain/cwsi2/cwsiug2/vlan2/stpapp.htm

Joe

It is per port not per switch. So a port that is blocked receives but does not transmit BPDUs but there may well be other ports on the switch that are forwarding BPDUs.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please advise.

Thanks.

Joe

Joe

It is per port not per switch. So a port that is blocked receives but does not transmit BPDUs but there may well be other ports on the switch that are forwarding BPDUs.

Jon

Jon

Thank you very much

Joe

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Adding to jon reply,

A port in STP blocking state relies on continous recieved BPDU, if the port for any reason failed to recieve those BPDUs , the port will immediately transit to STP forwarding state, hence causing spanning tree bridging loop.

A port in STP blocking state doesnt forward any BPDUs.

HTH

Mohamed

Mohamed, I'm certain that a port in blocking state does not immediately transition to forwarding state when it stops receiving BPDUs. It waits for timers to expire, those of which I can't recall off the top of my head (max age, 2x forward delay?), which is about 50 seconds.

Good ways to get around the STP convergence time would be to switch to RSTP, or use Uplink fast on the access layer which has <5 second convergence time and brings up the blocked port immediately.

Yes nelson you are correct, I should have mentioned that.

yes for STP 802.1d, it waits for max age timer 20 sec + 2 x 15 sec forward delay timer which is 50 sec.

HTH

Mohamed

joealbergo
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for your responses -

I think all your information is extremely helpful and have given everyone the five stars!

Thanks again... you all are great ---

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card