Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

unmanaged switch connect to 2 cisco 2960's that are trunked together

Hopefully everyone understands this. say I have 2- 2960's that are connected to each other with a trunk, for DR purposes. Now someone wants to connect a unmanaged smaller switch and plug it into both 2960's to provide network access to both 2960's in case one of them fails. wouldn't that create a loop no matter what is done or would STP handle the situation?

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

That's correct, you will

That's correct, you will create a loop.  

Ideally, STP would've handled the situation but there are known cases when un-managed switches do not play "fair" or they just don't follow the rules.  And this happens.  

Nowadays, if you know what you are going to do, this is why stacked switches  are ideal for scenarios like this.  

yeah that's what I figured as

yeah that's what I figured as well but just needed a second opinion, thanks for responding.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content