cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unreponding router

tmonie_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hi, my name is tayo and am working on a 2500 series router. the problem is that the router is not coming on on the hyperterminal.i have used a roll over cable to connect the console to the com1 port on the computer and initalized the hyperterminal but nothing shows on the screen.any suggestions will help.thanks

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tayo,

Try using a different cable and also confirm if your baud rate is set to 9600.

Also you can try with different baud rate as you never know is someone have changed it on router.

So after doing all these if stiill you do not see anything on console then its a BAD ROUTER now.

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur's suggestion of trying a different cable has merit. I would also suggest trying with that cable and that PC to connect to a different router and see if it works there.

Another piece of information that would be helpful is if you connect the PC to the console port and power cycle the router do you see any messages from the router as it boots? If you see messages in clear text then you have the correct console speed. If you get strange characters it is an indicator that you have mismatched speed between the setting of the router console and the setting of hyperterm. So Ankur's suggestion of trying different console speeds is a good idea. I suggest trying speeds of 9600, 4800, 2400, and 1200. With hyperterm it is a good idea to stop the connection and restart the connection each time you change the speed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Also go out and get a copy of TERA TERM for you emulator , hyperterm can be a pain to work at times , I swear by it and it is a great SSH or telnet client also . Best of all it free !!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: