Helpful
Replies

Unusual message at boot:

grassopj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I get an unusual error message on boot, on a stack of two 3750-48 POE switches:

CFGMGR-4-SLAVE_WRITING_STARTUP_CFG: only master can do that.

I've never noticed this before, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but the stack seems to be responding a bit slower to the WR command.

I've tried a complete clean boot (wr erase, del flash:vlan.dat, reload), and even replacing one of the POE switches with a Non POE one, but still get the message.

I've also tried removing the stack cables and completely resetting the stack config on each of the devices, but when I connect them back again I get the same error on boot.

I'm running 12.2-55.se7, which is supposed to be a very stable build, but I am not game to rack this stack until I am sure it will not give me any grief, as it is going into a critical area !

Any help appreciated ....

-Pete

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

according to cisco:

Error Message    CFGMGR-4-SLAVE_WRITING_STARTUP_CFG: only master can do that 

Explanation    This message means that a stack member switch (slave) attempted to write to the startup configuration file; only the stack master switch can write to the startup configuration file.

Recommended Action    No action is required.

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Yeah, I had discovered that from Cisco as well, but it's not the point. The point is that the slave switch should not be trying to write to the startup config !

We have over 60 of these switches in 20 different stacks where I work, and this is the only one exhibiting this behaviour !

-Pete

Hi ,

Seems this is an old post.  Few days ago I faced a similar problem. 

There was the log message "%CFGMGR-4-SLAVE_WRITING_STARTUP_CFG: only master can do that"  . 

We're using C3750G-24T , the secondary switch seems hanging where is disconnects and connects back to the stack member.  When its connecting back to the stack, then we're receiving the above log message. 

Any idea why this is occurring ? 

I'm seeing the same thing:

Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(3)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

csw3750x#sho log | inc only
Mar 30 01:30:12.308: %CFGMGR-4-SLAVE_WRITING_STARTUP_CFG: only master can do that (csw3750x-2)
Mar 30 01:30:12.308: %CFGMGR-4-SLAVE_WRITING_STARTUP_CFG: only master can do that (csw3750x-2)
csw3750x#

Though switch 2 is not the master, it attempts to write the startup configuration. It seems the master is catching that and not allowing it to happen. That's great, but that switch 2 is trying to do this is a problem. Cisco: Will this be addressed?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card