cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 3750X license in a stack

griffijo
Level 1
Level 1

I recently added a 3750X-24P-L into a stack of 3750V2 switches.  I did so by getting the temporary upgrade license from LAN Base to IP Services; I added the switch no problem.  I now have the permanent license and I was wodering if I could install the permanent license without having to remove the switch from the stack.  I tried a license install but that failed.  The switch is not currently the master but I figured I might promote it and then try the install.  Any suggestions??

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since the entire stack is logically one switch, you should try to install it using the master and not the members.  What is the error message you received? Also, make sure you have the same license level in all your switches in the stack.

HTH

You need to have the ip base on the 3750x in order to install into a stack with the 3750V2, which is the point of upgrading from the lan base to ip base.  I used the temporary ip base which expires after 30 days.  In the mean time I recieved the permanent license.  I tried to install with one of the 3750v2 as the master and the license does not take.  I figured out that if the 3750X is the master in the stack it will except the license. 

I tried to install with one of the 3750v2 as the master and the license does not take.  I figured out that if the 3750X is the master in the stack it will except the license.

The License is "tied" to the serial number of the appliance.  In order to get this done, take the 3750X off-line by removing the stacking cable.  Apply the license, reboot the appliance, and verify the license.  If the license is accepted, power down the 3750X, attach the stacking cable and power up the 3750X.

I was aware of doing it that way, I was just interested in knowing if there was another way and there was.  I was able to promote the 3750X to the master by rebooting the master and making sure the 3750X had the next highest priority.  I was then able to install the license, and the reboot the 3750X and allow the highest priority stack member to become the master again.  This way I didn't have to remove the 3750X from the stack. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card